Mikael Fernström is currently the Director of the Interaction Design Centre and a lecturer in the Department of Computer Science and Information Systems at the University of Limerick.
His research interests cover a range of topics:
- Interaction Design
- Auditory Display
- Physical input and output devices
- Ubiquitous computing
He has managed and participated a numerous projects, in local, national, EU in international contexts.
He is available for consultancy and research collaboration.
More info at:
(Selected list of publications.)
- Ciolfi, L., Bannon, L., and M. Fernström (2001). “Envisioning and Evaluating ‘Out-of-Storage’ Solutions”, in Bearman, D. & Garzotto, F. (Eds.), Proceedings of ICHIM01 International Cultural Heritage Informatics Meeting: Milan, September 2001.
- Ciolfi, L., Bannon, L. J. and Fernström (2007), “Visitors contributions as cultural heritage: designing for participation”, Proceedings of ICHIM 2007, Toronto (Canada), October 2007.
- E. Brazil and M. Fernström. Audio information browsing with the sonic browser. In Proceedings of the 2003 International Conference on Multiple Views in Exploratory Visualisation, pages 28–34, London, UK, July 15 2003. IEEE Computer Society.
- E. Brazil and M. Fernström. Investigating ambient auditory information systems. In G. P. Scavone, editor, International Conference on Auditory Display (ICAD-07), pages 326–333, June 26-29 2007
- E. Brazil and M. Fernström. Investigating concurrent auditory icon recognition. In Proceedings of ICAD 2006 – The 12th International Conference on Auditory Display, London, 2006. Queen Mary.
- E. Brazil and M. Fernström. Where’s that sound? exploring arbitrary user classifications of sounds for audio collection management. In E. Brazil and B. Shinn-Cunningham, editors, International Conference on Auditory Display, pages 66–70, Boston, MA, July 6-9 2003. Boston University Publications.
- E. Brazil, M. Fernström, and L. Ottaviani. A new experimental technique for gathering similarity ratings for sounds. In E. Brazil and B. Shinn-Cunningham, editors, Proceedings of the 2003 International Conference on Auditory Display, pages 238–242, Boston, MA, July 6-9 2003. Boston University Publications.
- E. Brazil, M. Fernström, G. Tzanetakis, and P. Cook. Enhancing sonic browsing using audio information retrieval. In International Conference on Auditory Display ICAD-02, pages 132–135, Kyoto, Japan, 2002. ICAD.
- E. Brazil. Cue points: An introduction. In M. Fernström and E. Brazil, editors, COST-G6 Conference on Digital Audio Effects DAFx-01, pages 237–241, Limerick, Ireland, December 6-8 2001. University of Limerick.
- L. Ottaviani, E. Brazil, and M. Fernström. Psychoacoustic experiments for validating sound objects in a 2-d space using the sonic browser. In Proceedings of the XIV Colloquium on Musical Informatics (XIV CIM 2003), pages 90–94, Firenze, Italy, May 8-10 2003.
- M. Fernström, E. Brazil, and L. Bannon. An investigation of soft-button widgets using sound. In Proceedings of 2004 Le Journees de Design Sonore, Paris, October 13-15 2004. French Acoustical Society.
- Ciolfi, L., Bannon, L.J. and Fernström, M. (2008), “Including visitor contributions in cultural heritage installations: Designing for participation”, “Museum Management and Curatorship”, Vol. 23, Issue 4, pp 353-365
- Ciolfi, L., Fernström, M., Bannon, L.J., Deshpande, P., Gallagher, P., McGettrick, C., Quinn, N., and Shirley, S. (2007) “The Shannon Portal Installation: An Example of Interaction Design for Public Places”, IEEE Computer, July 2007, pp 65-72.
- E. Brazil, M. Fernström, and L. Ottaviani. The Sounding Object, chapter Psychoacoustic validation and cataloguing of sonic objects: 2D browsing, pages 257–294. Mondo Estremo, Firenze, Italy, 2003.
- M. Fernström and E. Brazil. Sonic browsing: an auditory tool for multimedia asset management. In J. Hiipakka, N. Zacharov, and T. Takala, editors, ICAD 2001, pages 132–135, Helsinki, Finland, 2001. Laboratory of Acoustics and Audio Signal Processing and the Telecommunications Software and Multimedia Laboratory, Univeristy of Helsinki, Espoo, Finland.
- M. Fernström, E. Brazil, and L. Bannon. Hci design and interactive sonification for fingers and ears. IEEE Multimedia, 12(2):36–44, 2005.
- Serrano, M., Ó’Foghlú, M., Storni, C. and Fernström, M. (2009) Autonomic Computing Systems Acting as Patient Self-Management Support in Early and Quick Medical Assistance, poster presented at pHealth09, 24-26 June, Oslo, Norway.
w: Mikael’s Personal home page
w: Mikael’s Blog
w: Mikael’s Audiobooks