[su_tabs][su_tab title=”About”]Dr. Luigina Ciolfi is currently a Reader in Communication in the Cultural Communication and Computing Research Institute, Sheffield Hallam University (UK) and a Visiting Researcher at the Interaction Design Centre collaborating on the EU FP7 Project meSch – Material Encounters in Digital Cultural Heritage.
She holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Limerick and a Laurea in Communication Sciences (summa cum laude), from the University of Siena (Italy), specialising in Human-Machine Interaction.
Luigina’s research is concerned with the design of technologies to support human interaction within the physical space, based on an understanding of the relationship between people, activities and their locales. She has developed a conceptual framework for place-centred design, incorporating socio-scientific sensitivities for understanding the human experience of space and place into Interaction Design practice. She has participated in a number of national and international research projects on this topic, including “SHAPE-Situating Hybrid Assemblies in Public Environments”, “HIPS – Hyper Interaction Within Physical Space”, “Shared Worlds” , “NomadS”, and “Nomadic Work/Lives in the Knowledge Economy”.
Full info on her background, research activities and publications can be found at www.luiginaciolfi.com [/su_tab] [su_tab title=”Publications”]
(Selected list of publications.)
- Ciolfi, L. and L. Bannon (2005), “Space, place and the design of technologically enhanced physical environments”, in Turner, P. and E. Davenport (eds.), Space, Spatiality and Technology, London: Springer.
- Lennon, M., Bannon, L.J., Ciolfi, L. (2005). “Combinatory Methods for Developing Student Interaction Design Projects”, In P. A. Rodgers, Brodhurst, L., & Hepburn, D. (eds.) Crossing Design Boundaries. London, Taylor & Francis.
- Bowers, J., Bannon, L., Fraser, M., Hindmarsh, J., Benford, S., Heath C., Taxén, G. and Ciolfi, L. (2007), “From the Disappearing Computer to Living Exhibitions: Shaping Interactivity in Museum Settings”, in Streitz, N., Kameas, A. and Mavrommati, I. (Eds.), The Disappearing Computer: Interaction Design, System Infrastructures and Applications for Smart Environments. Springer, Heidelberg. LNCS 4500
- Ciolfi, L., Bannon, L., and M. Fernström (2001). “Envisioning and Evaluating ‘Out-of-Storage’ Solutions”, in Bearman, D. & Garzotto, F. (Eds.), Proceedings of ICHIM01 International Cultural Heritage Informatics Meeting: Milan, September 2001.
- Ciolfi, L., McLoughlin, M. and Bannon, L. (2008), “Lessons from a Walk in the Park: Augmenting the Visitor Experience at Heritage Sites”, to appear in McCarthy, J., Pitt, I. and Kirakowski, J. (Eds.), Proceedings of iHCI 2008.
- Benford, S., Bowers, J., Chandler, P., Ciolfi, L., Fraser, M., Greenhalgh, C., Hall, T., Hellström, S.O., Izadi, S., Rodden, T., Schnädelbach, H. and I. Taylor (2001). “Unearthing virtual history: using diverse interfaces to reveal hidden virtual worlds”, in G.D. Abowd, B. Brumitt, S. Shafer (Eds.): Ubicomp 2001: Ubiquitous Computing Third International Conference Atlanta, Georgia, USA, September 30 – October 2, 2001. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2201. Springer-Verlag.
- Ciolfi, L. & Cooke, M. (2006) “HCI for Interaction designers: communicating the bigger picture”. In E. Hvannberg, J. Read, L. Bannon, P, Kotze & W. Wong, Inventivity: Teaching theory, design and innovation in HCI, Proceedings of HCIEd2006 -1 23-34 March, 2006, Limerick Ireland.
- Ciolfi, L. (2003), “Towards a Localised Experience of Technology. A proposal to enhance interaction design for ubiquitous computing systems”, in Gray, P., Johnson, H. and E. O’Neill (Eds.), Proceedings of HCI2003: Designing for Society, Volume 2, British HCI Group, September 2003.
- Ciolfi, L. (2007), “Taking a walk: investigating personal paths in the museum space”, in Golightly, D., Rose, T., Wong, B.L.W., Light, A., CREATE07 – Proceedings of the Conference on Creative Inventions, Innovations and Everyday Designs in HCI, London, June 2007
- Ciolfi, L. and F. Pucci (1998). “HIPS: Navigare lo Spazio Virtuale entro lo Spazio Fisico” [HIPS: Navigating Virtual Space Within Physical Space], in AI*IA 1998-Atti Del Convegno Dell’Associazione Italiana Per l’Intelligenza Artificiale, Padova 1998.
- Ciolfi, L. and L. Bannon (2002), “Observing, Analysing, Designing: Towards enhanced interactive museum exhibits”, in Gallwey, T., Waldmann, T., O’Sullivan, L. (Eds.), Irish Ergonomics Review, Proceedings of the Irish Ergonomics Society Annual Conference, University of Limerick, April 2002.
- Ciolfi, L. and L. Bannon (2002). “Designing Interactive Museum Exhibits : Enhancing visitor curiosity through augmented artefacts”, in Bagnara, S., Pozzi, S., Rizzo, A. and P. Wright (Eds.), Proceedings of ECCE11, European Conference on Cognitive Ergonomics, Catania (Italy) September 2002. Awarded Best Paper.
- Ciolfi, L. and L. Bannon (2003), “Learning from Museum Visits: Shaping Design Sensitivities”, Proceedings of HCI International 2003, Crete June 2003.
- Ciolfi, L., Bannon, L. J. and Fernström (2007), “Visitors contributions as cultural heritage: designing for participation”, Proceedings of ICHIM 2007, Toronto (Canada), October 2007.
- Ciolfi, L., Bartolucci, I. and Murphy, D. (2005) “Meaningful interactions for meaningful places: investigating the relationships between nomadic work, tangible artefacts and the physical environment”, in N. Marmaras, T. Kontogiannis, D. Nathanael (Eds) Proceedings of EACE2005.
- Fraser, M, Bowers, J, Brundell, P, O’Malley, C, Reeves, S, Benford, S, Ciolfi, L, Ferris, K, Gallagher, P, Hall, T, Bannon, L, Taxen G, Hellstrom, S. (2004). “Re-tracing the Past: Mixing Realities in Museum Settings”, in ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology ACE 2004. 3 rd – 5 th June 2004 National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Hall, T., Bannon, L., Ciolfi, L., & Murphy, E. (2005) “Disappearing technology, emerging interactivity: designing ubiquitous computing to enhance children’s learning in museums”. To appear in the proceedings of EARLI 2005, Integrating Multiple Perspectives on Effective Learning Environments. 11th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction, August 23-27, 2005, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Hall, T., Bannon, L., Ciolfi, L., Ferris, K., Gallagher, P., Hickey, N. and A. Hedman (2004), “Tools for Open Interpretation: using novel, non-desktop computing to support multiple perspectives in children’s historical understanding”, Proceedings of ICLS04, International Conference on the Learning Sciences.
- Hall, T., Ciolfi, L, Hickey, N., and L. Bannon (2002). “From hands-on to minds-on: toward the design of interaction and technology to enhance children’s learning in a museum”, Proceedings of ICLS02, International Conference of Learning Sciences, Seattle (WA) October 2002.
- Hall, T., Ciolfi, L., Bannon, L., Fraser, M., Benford, S., Bowers, J., Greenhalgh, C., Hellström, S.O., Izadi, S. and H. Schnädelbach (2001). “The Visitor as Virtual Archaeologist: Explorations in Mixed Reality Technology to Enhance Educational and Social Interaction in the Museum”, Proceedings of VAST01 Virtual Reality, Archaeology and Cultural Heritage, Glyfada, Nr. Athens, Greece, 2001.
- Hall, T., Ciolfi, L., Ferris, K., Bannon, L., Gallagher, P. and N. Hickey (2003). “The Second Living Exhibition of the SHAPE project: supporting innovative exploration of artefacts with novel learning technology in the museum”, Proceedings of EdTech2003: The Fourth Annual Irish Educational Technology Users, Waterford (Ireland), May 2003.
- Hall, T., Ciolfi, L., Hickey, N. and L. Bannon (2002), “Design to Enhance Children’s Interaction in a Museum”, Interaction Design and Children, Eindhoven, August 2002.
- Kieran Ferris, Liam J. Bannon, Luigina Ciolfi, Paul Gallagher, Tony Hall, Marilyn Lennon: Shaping experiences in the hunt museum: a design case study. Conference on Designing Interactive Systems 2004
- Lennon, M., Bannon L.J. and Ciolfi, L. (2005), “Combinatory Methods for Developing Student Interaction Design Projects” in Proceedings of the 3rd Engineering and Product Design Educational International Conference, Napier University Edinburgh, Sept. 2005
- Marti, P., Ciolfi, L. and F. Gabrielli (2000). “Designing auditory spaces”, Proceedings of i3Annual Conference 2000, Jonköping,, September 2000.
- Ciolfi, L. and Bannon, L.J. (2007), Proceedings of iHCI07 – The First Irish Human-Computer Interaction Conference, University of Limerick May 2007, ISBN/S 1-905952-02-3 978-1-905952-02-1
- Ciolfi, L., Cooke, M., Hall, T., Bannon, L.J. and Oliva, S. (eds.) (2005), Proceedings of the International Workshop “Re-Thinking Technology in Museums: towards a new understanding of people’s experience in museums”, University of Limerick June 2005, ISBN 1-874653-80-1
- Ciolfi, L. (2004), “Understanding Spaces as Places: Extending Interaction Design Paradigms”, «Cognition Technology and Work», Special Issue on “Presence: design and technology challenges for cooperative activities in virtual or remote environments”, Vol 6, No. 1, February 2004. Berlin: Springer.
- Ciolfi, L., Bannon, L.J. and Fernström, M. (2008), “Including visitor contributions in cultural heritage installations: Designing for participation”, “Museum Management and Curatorship”, Vol. 23, Issue 4, pp 353-365
- Bannon, L. and Ciolfi, L. (2005), “Interaction Design @ IDC Limerick”, Interaction Design and Architectures, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 24-31.
- Ciolfi, L. (2007), “Supporting Affective Experiences of Place Through Interaction Design”, Co-Design, Volume 3, Issue S1 2007, pages 183 – 198
- Ciolfi, L. and Bannon L.J. (2007), “Designing Hybrid Places: merging interaction design, ubiquitous technologies and geographies of the museum space”, Co-Design, 3:3, 159 – 180
- Ciolfi, L., Fernström, M., Bannon, L.J., Deshpande, P., Gallagher, P., McGettrick, C., Quinn, N., and Shirley, S. (2007) “The Shannon Portal Installation: An Example of Interaction Design for Public Places”, IEEE Computer, July 2007, pp 65-72.
- Ciolfi, L., Fitzpatrick, G. and Bannon, L., (2008), “Settings for Collaboration: The Role of Place”, Computer Supported Cooperative Work Journal, Springer, Vol. 17, Nos. 2-3, April/June 2008 (91-96).
- Hall, T., Bannon., L., Ciolfi, L., & Murphy, E. (2005) “Hybrid digital-physical exhibitions: Creating new possibilities for education through novel computing in museums.” Journal of Education in Museums. 26, pp. 13-18. Group for Education in Museums (GEM): U.K. Stevenson, J. (Ed.).
- Lennon, M., Bannon, L.J. Ciolfi, L. (2006). “Space to reflect: combinatory methods for developing student interaction design projects in public spaces.” CoDesign 2(2): 53-69.
- McCarthy, J. and Ciolfi, L. (2008), “Place as dialogue: understanding and supporting the museum experience”, International Journal of Heritage Studies, 14:3.
Journal special issue
- Ciolfi, L., Fitzpatrick, G. and Bannon, L. (Eds) (2008), “Settings for Collaboration: The Role of Place”, Special Issue of the Computer Supported Cooperative Work Journal, Springer, Vol. 17, Nos. 2-3, April-June 2008 (91-290).
- Ciolfi, L. (2004), “Digitally Making Places: An Observational Study of People’s Experiences of an Interactive Museum Exhibition”, Proceedings of the second workshop on “Space, Spatiality and Technology” 2004.
- Ciolfi, L. and L. Bannon (2003), “Space, place and the design of technologically enhanced physical environments”, accepted to the Workshop on Space, Spatiality and Technologies, Napier University, Edinburgh December 2003.
[/su_tab][su_tab title=”Media”][su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeE24Wo4h8Y”][/su_tab] [su_tab title=”Contact”]